NSWC Federal Credit Union was federally chartered in 1961, and has grown into a full-service financial institution with total assets of over $300 million dollars. We value our members' trust, and work diligently to offer the financial services our members need and want. Our members' funds are federally insured by National Credit Union Administration, a U. S. Government Agency.
Credit Union membership comes with many benefits and we want you to get those benefits! For information on membership eligibility, please see the sections below.
Qualifying for membership is as easy as meeting any of the following criteria.
- Civilian and military personnel of the U.S. Government who work for or are permanently stationed at Naval Support Activity South Potomac (NSASP) Dahlgren, or one of its tenant commands.
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, active or retired, who are receiving authorized benefits or services primarily from NSASP Dahlgren.
- Civilian and military personnel employed by the Department of the Navy in the Washington Metropolitan area who live in the City of Fredericksburg or the counties of Stafford, Spotsylvania or King George.
- Civilian personnel retired from NSASP Dahlgren and its tenant commands.
- Persons who work regularly at NSASP Dahlgren and are employed by contractors who maintain offices within a 35-mile radius of NSASP Dahlgren and have a contract with the U.S. Government for a minimum of 6 months continuously prior to making application for membership.
- Civilian and military personnel of the U.S. Government who work at Fort A.P. Hill, Bowling Green, Virginia.
- Persons who work regularly at Fort A.P. Hill, Bowling Green, Virginia, and are employed by contractors who maintain offices within a 35-mile radius of Fort A.P. Hill and have a contract with the U.S. Government for a minimum of 6 months continuously prior to making application for membership.
- Government employees assigned to George Washington's Birthplace Memorial located in Westmoreland County, Virginia.
- Dependent spouses of deceased members.
- Organizations of members that have a federal Tax ID#.
- Persons, who live, work, worship, or attend school in the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- The immediate family of any members. An immediate family member consists of spouses, children, siblings, parents, grandparents, or grandchildren.
- Household membership will be extended to individuals living in the same residence as a member, maintaining a single economic unit.
- Employees, volunteers, and/or members of one of our affiliated organizations.
Contact us at 540-663-2181 for a list of our sponsor groups.
NSWC Federal Credit Union cares about the communities we serve and the communities where our employees and members live and work. Our involvement in the community is another way that we fulfill our philosophy of being “Not for Profit, but for Service!... People Helping People!”
We give primary consideration for sponsorship to non-profit organizations that are included within NSWC Federal Credit Union’s charter membership. If your organization is not currently an affiliate of the Credit Union, you may contact Stephanie Lyles for information on how your organization can become an affiliate. Please note that we do not make donations that directly benefit an individual, or to organizations with political initiatives or affiliations.
*All requests must be submitted at least 30 days prior to your event/program. Please anticipate 14 working days for a response to your request. If your event/program has a brochure or other information, please include it with your request.
To be eligible for business membership you must meet one of these criteria.
Businesses and organizations incorporated or otherwise, are eligible for membership in NSWC Federal Credit Union if they are composed, for the most part, of the same general group as the Credit Union membership.
As long as all the principals in the business are eligible for individual membership in the Credit Union, the business itself can become a member.
The principals are typically the owners of the business. They are called different things depending on the type of business. The owners of the business are identified in the documents that are provided when membership is established, as follows:
Business Types and Documents required
Fictitious Name Certificate
Limited Partnership (LP)
Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
Statement of Partnership Authority
Certificate of Limited Partnership
Statement of Registration as a Domestic Limited Liability Partnership
Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Articles of Organization
Articles of Incorporation
- If the organization is an association or club it is eligible for Credit Union membership if all of its members are individually eligible for Credit Union membership. We require that the association or club have a Tax Identification Number (TIN) to establish membership. This is the Employee Identification Number (EIN) of the organization.
- To verify eligibility all businesses, as part of establishing membership, are required to remit an appropriate “Resolution”. In remitting this Resolution the principal(s) of the business or organization is certifying that the business meets the eligibility requirements.
- If the majority of the principals (or members) are not eligible for membership, many organizations are eligible to become an Affiliate of the Credit Union. Once this Credit Union relationship is established, all of the principals are eligible for membership, thus the business is eligible to establish membership. As an affiliate, your business/organization can offer the benefits of Credit Union membership to all of its employees/members/volunteers, as well as their families, at no cost to the organization! For more information on becoming an affiliate please contact us.
- Credit Union membership: a powerful employee benefit. NSWC Federal Credit Union offers high-quality, affordable financial services. If your company or organization chooses to partner with us, this is a benefit that you can offer your employees at NO COST to you! To offer your employees the benefit of NSWC Federal Credit Union membership, simply send us a brief letter of request today! Complete our sample letter, print it on your company or organization letterhead, and mail it to NSWC Federal Credit Union at P.O. Box 519, Dahlgren, Virginia 22448.
As much as we love seeing you, we do close our doors a few days a year to let our employees spend holidays with friends and family. Thank you for allowing us to do so.
- January 1st – New Year’s Day
- January 21st – Martin Luther King Day
- February 18th – President’s Day
- May 27th – Memorial Day
- July 4th – Independence Day
- September 2nd – Labor Day
- October 14th – Columbus Day
- November 11th – Veteran’s Day
- November 28th – Thanksgiving
- December 25th – Christmas Day
If you are looking for a rewarding career in the financial industry and enjoy providing excellent service, then NSWC Federal Credit Union may be the place for you.
NSWC Federal Credit Union is dedicated to hiring passionate, knowledgeable and dependable individuals who are service-oriented and attentive to detail. We are a not-for-profit, member-owned financial cooperative that is dedicated to helping our members achieve their financial goals.
If you would like to be a part of the exciting things happening at NSWC Federal Credit Union, please apply for any open position for which you may be qualified. We look forward to meeting you.
Board of Directors
A credit union's board of directors is elected by the members and consists completely of unpaid volunteers.
- Chairman- Woodfin Straughan
- Vice Chairman - Jim Venable
- Treasurer - David Martin
- Secretary - Jack Bell
- Director - Barry Mohle
- Director - Jim Ball
- Director - Lucia Perkins
Associate Board of Directors
- Kathrine Zimmerman
A credit union supervisory committee is appointed by the board of directors and consists completely of unpaid volunteers.
- Chairperson - Jim Criss
- Secretary - Robert Weber
- Board of Directors Representative - Jackie Bell
- Member - Raymond Farmer
- Member - Katherine Zimmerman
When you are looking for a recap of the year or just want to see what will be ahead, review our Annual Report.
“NSWC Federal Credit Union. Serving our members now and in the future.”